An Efficacy Investigation
Go Green Solutions came to D2M looking for a way to improve on their method of replacing traditional fluorescent tubes with LED fluorescent tubes. The solution would provide a means of saving in both energy and maintenance costs while not requiring a retrofit of existing fixtures.
D2M investigated the integration of high-powered LEDs into a fluorescent tube replacement, focusing on light intensity and thermal management optimization. Our team conducted engineering lab work, measuring sampling and creating prototypes.
Areas of focus included:
- Diffusion Possibilities
- LED Light Quality vs. Fluorescents
- LED Distribution
- Heat Flow
- Meeting Energy Star Requirements
The D2M team went even further, developing an LED fluorescent tube replacement power supply as a ballast replacement. Our engineering team developed a universal (including 277 VAC single-phase industrial) range tube integrated AC/DC constant current LED driver, with optional triac dimming.
Other areas of focus included:
- Investigating alternate topologies
- Determining applicable regulatory agency requirements
- Designing, prototyping and testing
- Architecting for long life
- Facilitating the release of the design to manufacturing